Pages

Monday 18 July 2011

Weekly Wrap Up

Batman: Arkham City Collector’s Edition detailed
            Best Buy has listed the Arkham City Collector’s Edition on their site for $99.99, with some vague details about what will be included.  It is supposed to come with a statue but they don’t say what it will be of, an art book, “animated content” from Gotham Knight which I expect to be either one or two of the episodes on a bonus disk and early access to in-game add-ons.  I assume that the statue will either be of Batman or the Batman and Catwoman pose where they are standing back to back that they have been using on all of their posters and things.  

EA buys PopCap games
            PopCap games the makers of Plants vs. Zombies and Bejeweled has now been acquired by Electronic Arts.  The purchase was not cheap despite the fact that PopCap only makes casual games; EA paid $650 million cash and $100 million in stock/other payments.  While I see the potential for profit from PopCap I’m surprised at how much EA was willing to pay.  I think that casual games have their place but are and should remain a sub-genre despite the fact that I really enjoyed Plants vs. Zombies.  In fact I have a recommendation for it on the site.

Halo CE bonuses
            If you pre-order Halo CE: Anniversary you will receive a code that allows you to download a Master Chief outfit for your Avatar as well as a bonus in-game Skull called “Grunt Funeral” which causes Grunts to explode like Plasma Grenades which is cool because since there aren’t any suicide Grunts in the first Halo to use to wipe out surrounding enemies.  I can’t wait to go back and re-play this classic and see how it stacks up to modern shooters who got a lot of pointers from this game.

Harry Potter Shatters records
            Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 has come out and has apparently shattered box office records all around the world.  It has become the biggest domestic, international and world wide release of all time.  In its opening weekend is grossed over $475 million worldwide which is ridiculous.  I’m not a Harry Potter fan, I watched the first three films and then I just lost interest so while the movies have apparently improved I haven’t seen any of the recent films.  I did however see and I am a fan of The Dark Knight which used to have the biggest domestic opening in history and I just have to say Batman is way better than Harry Potter and there is no way that this movie is anywhere near as good as The Dark Knight.  I just hope that The Dark Knight Rises will make even more money and reclaim the title of biggest domestic opening.

El Shaddai delayed
            El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron is an amazingly unique ad stylized game that could have been a great sleeper hit during the summer game drought but it appears that we will have to wait a little while longer to get our hands on this mesmerizing experience.  While the game was slated to be released on July 26, just eight days away it will now be delayed until August 16, another twenty-one days away.  I don’t know why they would delay the game by three weeks when they are so close to launch but if it will improve the game than I am totally for it.  If you don’t know about this game yet you should go onto Xbox Live or PSN, download the demo and see for yourself.  

The Dark Knight Rises trailer
            The Dark Knight Rises is the conclusion of the Christopher Nolan trilogy of Batman films.  The Dark Knight is my favourite movie ever and I have been dying to see how Nolan will surpass it.  Now there’s a trailer!  It’s short and spoils something about Jim Gordon and Bruce Wayne but I’m still so glad they finally have a trailer.  You can see it here.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/07/dark-knight-rises-trailer-teaser-nolan-bale.html   




For all the latest updates on the blog be sure to follow me on Twitter @Aeonofdoom360 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Batman: Arkham Knight Critique - Joker Story

The most compelling aspect of the story in “Batman: Arkham Knight” for me was Batman’s ongoing hallucinations of The Joker. I had heard...