Pages

Monday 26 December 2011

Weekly Wrap Up: Dec. 26

DMC Trailers
            I’ll be the first to admit that I was pissed when I found out that Devil May Cry was being rebooted.  Not just for the reason that most fans tend to bring up, which is the fact that Dante’s appearance has been changed quite a bit (although it does bother me), no I was pissed because I’m still trying to figure out what happened after Dante drove into Hell at the end of Devil May Cry 2.  Despite the fact that I would rather have Devil May Cry 5, DMC is looking really good.  The game takes place in a city called Limbo; Devil May Cry fans won’t be familiar with it since this game is set in a separate universe from the rest.  Limbo looks amazing the lighting and colourful visuals throughout bring a lot of life to the city.  There are also parts where the city will reshape itself around Dante which can lead to new routes but also block existing ones.  The trailers also show off the use of a chain to bring enemies closer, which is a welcome addition sense it allows for easier combos by bringing all the enemies up close instead of running after them.  I may not have initially been excited for DMC but after seeing more of the game it will definitely be one of the action games I keep an eye on next year.  You can watch two gameplay trailers below.

Fenix Rising
            Epic has announced their third paid DLC release for Gears of War 3, which will be released on January 17th.  It is called “Fenix Rising” and is another multiplayer map pack.  They have released a free map pack already but like I said you will have to pay for this one.  The add-on will cost 800MSP and includes 5 new maps for use in Verses, Beast and Horde modes, 4 new character skins and the addition of Re-UpRe-Up allows players who have reached level 100 to start back at 1 and unlock new weapon skins, so basically Prestige mode from Call of Duty.  While I enjoy Gears of War’s multiplayer a lot I’m not a big fan of map packs and I’m in no need of adding new ranks to the game.  On that note I would like to know why they don’t allow players to reach level 200, but instead make them reach level 100 a second time, I’m I the only one who finds that strange?

SSX delayed
            SSX was planned to be released on February 14 but now fans will have to wait until February 28!  I always used to find it unnecessary when a studio delayed a game by a week or two for “polish” but now after so many recent games coming out with bugs and parts missing so that they can either be fixed after the fact through updates or released later as DLC, I’m glad to see a company wait to iron out some last minute kinks.  I’ve never played an SSX game before but the new one looks like a lot of fun.

Prequels coming to theatres soon?
            This week saw the unveiling of the first trailers for two of next year’s biggest films: The Hobbit & PrometheusThe Hobbit has been a long time coming for any fans of the Lord of the Rings series, and now they finally have a trailer so they can see how their beloved tale has been adapted.  I thought the trailer was great and I’m looking forward to seeing more before the film is released.  The question in this sub-heading is because as far as I know Prometheus has yet to be confirmed as a prequel to Aliens and so it could be an unrelated film.  I liked the trailer but I have to say that the title forming in the middle of the screen the whole time was really distracting, so I had to watch it more than once to see what was going on.

 Marvel Heroes
            I remember back when the Xbox 360 was coming out I bought this magazine that was devoted to all the games that were planned for system over the next few years.  One of them that I was extremely excited about was a Marvel MMO.  I hadn’t heard much of it sense but apparently it was supposed to be designed by Cryptic Studios (City of Heroes/Villains) but it was cancelled.  Now it is back under the new name of Marvel Heroes and will now be developed by Gazillion Entertainment (Marvel Super Hero Squad Online).  The change in developer has caused me to lose a lot of faith in this game and if it hopes to stand any sort of chance it will have to be free-to-play form the start in order to get people into the game.  Otherwise I don’t see it standing a chance against DC Universe Online, which went free-to-play last month.  Also I would like to point out that the game appears to be a PC exclusive now.  

For all the latest updates on the blog be sure to follow me on Twitter @Aeonofdoom360  and be sure to let me know what you think in the comments section below, no sign up or registration needed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Batman: Arkham Knight Critique - Joker Story

The most compelling aspect of the story in “Batman: Arkham Knight” for me was Batman’s ongoing hallucinations of The Joker. I had heard...