Pages

Saturday 2 July 2011

E3: Best of - Winners

Best Surprise
Halo 4
            While I’m not surprised that there is a Halo 4 coming out I am surprised that it was announced so soon and that it is planned for next year.  The reason I didn’t give it to the new Halo trilogy because that was more surprising was the fact that I want to play Halo 4 first to see if the story merits a trilogy or if they are just milking it because if it is the latter then it is a bad surprise.

Best FPS
Halo: Anniversary
            Halo is my all-time favourite FPS franchise now with enhanced graphics and 4-player online co-op, I can’t wait to go back and experience the game that started it all this November.   

Best Action Adventure
Assassin’s Creed: Revelations
            While I don’t like the idea of releasing a new game in the same series every year like Ubisoft seems to be doing with Assassin’s Creed, I’m still eager to see how Ezio’s story wraps up and play some more of the best Action Adventure series around.

Best RPG
Mass Effect 3
            Mass Effect is one of my favourite series of all time and with the Reaper invasion finally upon us all of our decisions are going to have major repercussions which will lead to an unparallel gaming experience.

Best 3rd Person Shooter
Gears of War 3
            The epic conclusion is almost here.  The all out war between the COGs, the Locust and now the Lambents will be insane.  Not to mention the multiplayer which was great during the beta, Horde mode back and better than ever with customization options and boss battles plus the new Beast mode all coming together to make what I believe will be the best game this year.       

Best Use of Motion Control
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
            I don’t really like motion control all that much and it is kind of hard to show off so Zelda didn’t have much competition.  Personally I think this game would be better if it wasn’t all about motion control.

Best Trailer
Star Wars: The Old Republic
            The Old Republic has some of the greatest trailers I have ever seen for any game or movie and this year’s was no different.  I wish they would just make a CG movie about the game already because these trailers are so magnificent.

Best Open World Game
Batman: Arkham City
            I know that Skyrim has a massive open world that will be interesting to explore but this isn’t a competition about which open world is best it is about which game that features an open world is best.  I loved Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City seems to have made a bunch of improvements so while Skyrim looks great if I could only get one of them it would be Arkham City.

Best Downloadable Game
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
            I played this game for the first time in the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection back on the PS2 and thought that it was worth the price tag alone.  So now that it will only be around $15 and have great online support it will be a must buy for fighting fans.


Best Handheld Game
Star Fox 64 3DS
            While Uncharted: Golden Abyss is the most technologically impressive handheld game, the one that I want to play the most is Star Fox 64 3DS.  I love the N64 version I used to play it all the time.  While I don’t have a 3DS because I don’t think I need one, if I ever decided to get one this is the first game I would buy.   

Best PS3 Exclusive
Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception
            I didn’t love Uncharted 2 as much as most critics but I did think that is was good and the new one seems to have an even deeper and more interesting story plus I love Naughty Dog.

Best Wii/Wii U Exclusive
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
            There was less competition here than in the Motion Control category.

Best Xbox 360 Exclusive
Gears of War 3
The epic conclusion is almost here.  The all out war between the COGs, the Locust and now the Lambents will be insane.  Not to mention the multiplayer which was great during the beta, Horde mode back and better than ever with customization options and boss battles plus the new Beast mode all coming together to make what I believe will be the best game this year.

Best Original Game
Rage
            While El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron is really cool and unique the best game that isn’t a part of an established franchise (a new IP) to me is Rage.  From ID Software the makers of Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein, Rage looks like a great game that I can’t wait to play.

Game of show
Mass Effect 3
            Like I said earlier Mass Effect is one of my favourite game series ever and the final chapter is looking like the best one yet.  There is no doubt in my mind that this was the best game shown at this year’s E3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Batman: Arkham Knight Critique - Joker Story

The most compelling aspect of the story in “Batman: Arkham Knight” for me was Batman’s ongoing hallucinations of The Joker. I had heard...