Pages

Monday 25 July 2011

Weekly Wrap Up

Comic-Con!
            So last week was the biggest convention in nerd/geek culture and a ton of cool stuff was shown off.  I heard about a lot of different things but not in any great detail so I won’t have multiple articles about the con like I did with E3.  Instead I will just mention some of the things that stood out to me below.   

DCUO Fight for the Light
            DC Universe Online is an MMO that I have been meaning to try out for some time now, I’m not an MMO player but this one plays more like an action game which is more my style.  Anyway the game has unveiled its first expansion pack in which you join either join the Green Lantern Corps or the Sinestro Corps depending on which side you’re on.  You will battle more powerful enemies worthy of your new powers and have the ability to create up to 20 different constructs with your ring.  I don’t know if each side gets 20 or if the combined total of unique constructs is 20 but either way it’s pretty cool.

Arkham City trailer
The latest trailer for the highly anticipated Batman: Arkham City has been released and features the Penguin and a new villain.  The trailer is pretty awesome and with all the villains in the game and the emphasis on making them all fit into the story naturally and maintaining their distinct personalities, I expect this game to surpass its predecessor and be one of the year’s best games.

Ghost Rider 2
            There had been talks about this movie for awhile and unfortunately it is actually on its way to theatres.  The first Ghost Rider was an awful movie and I can’t believe they are making a sequel.  I think that Nicholas Cage who will reprise his role as Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider is a great actor but can’t pick a good script to save his life.  I understand that he will do any role for money now but how could no one on that crew realize that this is just a terrible idea that will not be successful in terms of sales or as a movie and put a stop to this project.   

Assassin’s Creed Embers
            This is not the next Assassin’s Creed game that will be releasing in 2012.  It is an animated movie based around Ezio as an old man with a family.  I think it is a better fit for most games to make a mini animated film than a full length movie but I find it weird that it is entirely focused on Ezio.  I would prefer a collection of short films like in Halo: Legends so we could further explore Altair, Desmond and Abstergo which are all interesting worth exploring.  Since they have already dedicated three games to Ezio the final of which is supposed to conclude his story I don’t see why he needs a movie as well.  It will be released on November 15 alongside Assassin’s Creed Revelations and I believe that if you order specific editions of the game you will receive the movie as a bonus.

The Amazing Spider-Man
            A trailer for the Spider-Man reboot was released at Comic-Con and all I really took away from the video was that it reminded me of Mirror’s Edge with the fast first-person running and jumping at the end.  I understand that it is just for the reveal and won’t be like that for the rest of the film but I found it funny and unnecessary, I mean the fact that he is dressed as Spider-Man isn’t a big surprise.  However I’m still interested in this movie as I’m sure many of you are because it’s Spider-Man.  The trailer didn’t spend time on the Lizard other than a quick shot of him prior to the mutation which is kind of disappointing because I’m interested in how he will look.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom
            This game was just announced and since the add-ons to SF4 have gone so well Capcom has decided to do the same with MVC.  I like that they are releasing the game for less than standard retail ($39.99 US) but I don’t like the fact that Capcom is just re-releasing the same game over and over again with re-balanced fighters and additional characters.  Why don’t they just take the time to make the characters work right the first time and then release character packs for a few bucks, why should people buy the game again because the company didn’t put out the “definitive” version of their own game.  The game will have changes to the existing characters move sets, damage and health along with 12 new characters and 8 new maps.  

Mass Effect Movie
            As I mentioned two weeks ago in a previous Weekly Wrap Up there is a Mass Effect movie in the works and at Comic-Con it was discussed during the Legendary Pictures panel, but there weren’t any details given about cast or story.  The impression I got was that they are hard at work on the adaptation and are currently trying to find the best way to show off the universe they have created and are also still working on the script.  I am lead to believe this because they mentioned the strength of their universe and the fact that the characters will drive the story much like in the games but didn’t mention any characters specifically or when it will take place.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer
            Deus Ex has released another amazing video, this one is live action and does an incredible job of setting the background for the world in which the game will take place.  This is definitely the game’s best trailer so far and looks like a movie that I would definitely go see.  It’s setup like a documentary about the augmentations that have been introduced in the society and is quite emotional.  You all should definitely check it out in the link below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui9fyvtWVcs&has_verified=1


For all the latest updates on the blog be sure to follow me on Twitter @Aeonofdoom360 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Batman: Arkham Knight Critique - Joker Story

The most compelling aspect of the story in “Batman: Arkham Knight” for me was Batman’s ongoing hallucinations of The Joker. I had heard...