Pages

Monday 16 May 2011

Weekly Wrap Up

New Alan Wake.
            Remedy has announced that they are working on a new Alan Wake project.  However they also said that it isn’t Alan Wake 2 and it isn’t DLC.  So what does that mean?  They won’t say until they unveil it and since they said it will probably be released this Fall I’m guessing they’re going to show it off at E3 this June.  I’m glad they are continuing the series and sense I think it will be a prequel about Thomas Zane hopefully it will help explain more about the Darkness and maybe give a hint as to what happened at the end of Alan Wake because that was just crazy. 

The end of an era.
            Smallville aired its final episode on Friday concluding the 10th season of the incredible series.  Smallville is one of my favourite shows of all time and I loved seeing all the returning cast members in the final season because they are all such talented actors.  I have to tip my hat to Tom Welling who played Clark Kent and Michael Rosenbaum who played Lex Luthor along with the amazing writers for making me care about these characters again.  As a kid I loved Superman but as I got older I lost interest for reasons you usually hear like “Superman is cheap and has too many powers”.  He seems like the idealistic hero so strong and perfect; he swoops in and stops the criminals in less than a second without any innocents getting hurt.  This isn’t appealing because you want to relate to these heroes and you can’t do that with someone who is perfect.  I can relate to Bruce Wayne and Peter Parker and with all of the issues they have to deal with because that is what keeps them grounded and unless you follow the comics you don’t see that side of Superman.  Shows and movies always portray him as a God amongst men who doesn’t make mistakes.  Smallville teaches you about Clark Kent instead of Superman so that you actually care about what he has to go through and responsibility on his shoulders and makes Lex such an amazing character that you can look past the hole issue that he is totally out classed by Superman.  Thanks to this show Superman is now one of my favourite heroes, right behind Batman and Spider-Man because this show is so good it can make me take a hero I didn’t like and put him above characters I have always loved like Wolverine.  If you haven’t checked this show out I implore you to do so.  Go buy the first season or wait for the inevitable whole series collection and experience one of the greatest shows ever made about one of the greatest heroes of all time.
           
Gears of War 3 beta is over.
            That’s right Smallville isn’t the only thing that came to an end this week.  Gears of War has closed its beta and you all must now wait until September before you get your hands on some gaming goodness.  The beta was a lot of fun and I will post an article detailing it later this week.  However I can tell you now that with everything Gears 3 has to offer from a full 4-player co-op campaign to beast mode to Horde mode to the standard multiplayer it is shaping up to be Game of the Year in my opinion especially since Mass Effect 3 isn’t coming until next year.    

Another Call of Duty.
            There is now a very vague and kind of boring trailer for the next Call of Duty entitled Modern Warfare 3.  While I enjoyed the first to Modern Warfares I felt a major decrease in quality from the first to the second mostly due to the fact that I loved the story in the first one and the second one’s story didn’t make any sense.  I actually didn’t purchase Black Ops because of the decline in quality and because it was made by Treyarch who was the backup company to Infinity Ward.  This new game will be headed by Infinity Ward which is in shambles since Zampella and West left and formed Respawn Entertainment with EA and attracted all of Infinity Ward’s talent.  Thanks to this the game will be split amongst Infinity Ward and to other minor studios that Activision owns that I don’t even know the names of because they are so small.  I have no faith in this gaming being good and if Activison doesn’t want to lay Call of Duty to rest the way they did Guitar Hero they should call of this game give people the break that this franchise needs and wait for Treyarch which is a capable studio to make the next one.  Also I believe that Activison is taking a gamble announcing this game before settling the legal battle with Zampella and West over who owns the rights to Modern Warfare.  Unfortunately if it comes out it will sell like crazy because the majority of people who play Call of Duty aren’t Hardcore gamers like us who actually know about the fact that this isn’t the same Infinity Ward or even what Infinity Ward is.  They’re just mindless drones who only play COD because it’s what their friends have and have never played anything deeper like Mass Effect or Heavy Rain.

Bandai Namco has announced new games.
            Bandai Namco has announced a bunch of new games including two that I’m interested in called Soul Calibur 5 and Dragon Ball Project Age 2011.  I’m not the biggest Soul Calibur fan but I do find their games to be pretty fun and I believe that if you are a fan you should be pretty excited.  I’m wondering what console exclusive characters they will offer this time around because I always find that cool.  I am however a huge Dragon Ball Z fan and while I have been disappointed in this generation of games I’m hoping that with a more expanded fan base due to the success of Dragon Ball Z: Kai on the air that they will go all out on this one and deliver a massive roster of characters like in Tenkaichi 3 and improved on some of the controls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Batman: Arkham Knight Critique - Joker Story

The most compelling aspect of the story in “Batman: Arkham Knight” for me was Batman’s ongoing hallucinations of The Joker. I had heard...