Pages

Monday 12 September 2011

Weekly Wrap Up

Halo 4 loses Narrative Designer
            Ryan Payton a Creative Director who was working as Narrative Designer for Halo 4 for over a year has left 343 Industries to start his own company.  After a few years working on Halo he lost excitement for the project and felt it would be better to strike out on his own where he is free to do things his way which is not how Halo 4 was going.  Apparently he wanted to make fundamental changes to the game but knew he would never be allowed to.  He has also been an assistant producer on Metal Gear Solid 4 so I have no doubt that will be just fine in his new company called Camouflaj, which already has two projects in the works.  I don’t believe that this will have any sort of negative impact on the game’s story which must be all planned out by now. 

Dragon Quest X coming next year
            Dragon Quest X will be coming to the Wii in 2012 and it will be an MMO but you won’t have to connect the game online until you get a couple of hours in.  I don’t know if it will be free to play once you connect it or not but it will be interesting to see since the Wii doesn’t really have a lot of online games.  The game is supposed to be released later on the Wii U with updated graphics and cross platform play but I don’t know how that would work since I assume that with the enhanced graphical power of the Wii U the game will run on a different engine.  Cross platform play is rare and cross platform play with different engines running the games is something that I’ve never seen before.  I haven’t played many Dragon Quest games but I did love Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2 which is why I’m disappointed that after releasing DQ9 on the DS they are now releasing DQ10 on the Wii and as an MMO which is a genre I’ve never gotten into.  So basically what I’m trying to say is I won’t be picking up this game for the Wii and I still have no intention of getting a Wii U so I will have to miss out on another Dragon Quest because it is on a, lets say “less than desirable” system.  So is this game enough to make you want to dust off your Wii or buy Nintendo’s latest console? 

3DS second analog stick peripheral
            You know the complaints that everyone has had about the PSP since it first launched back in 2005 about how annoying it is to play a lot of games with only 1 analog stick?  Well it turns out Nintendo just heard about it now! So they have decided that the 3DS needs a 2nd analog stick and have a new peripheral on the way to give it just that.  Don’t worry it won’t be like a Nunchuk that will require you to use another hand because that would be stupid for a portable system.  It will be a border that you attach to the system through one of its ports and that border has an analog stick on it.  So it makes your 3DS bigger so that it has room for a new stick which will actually make the console less portable and probably require a lot of people to get new, larger cases.

Metallic Rose DS this month
            Despite the fact that the 3DS is already out and not doing all that well, Nintendo is releasing a new color of DSi XL this month.  I don’t know why they would want to bring attention away from the 3DS when they are desperately trying to boost its sales.  Unless since the DSi XL and 3DS are basically the same price, they want you to see the metallic rose version and notice that the 3DS is the same price and buy it because it is a better deal.  Although I feel that would be way too complicated and would probably have a varying success rate so I guess they just feel that anything that might bring in money is worth a shot. 

Dead Island
            The highly anticipated free roaming zombie game, Dead Island came out this past week and has garnered some mixed reviews.  I haven’t played this game yet and probably won’t for a while since I’m still playing Deus Ex and Gears 3 is almost out.  If you love zombie games you might want to rent the game and see if it’s any good but personally I’m a little tired of zombie games and I think that everyone with a 360 should be saving up for Gears 3 because it looks amazing and for PS3 fans Resistance 3 is already out and is supposed to be the best in the series.  Whether you want these games or not, I think we can all agree that it is great that the summer drought is firmly behind us for another year!

For all the latest updates on the blog be sure to follow me on Twitter @Aeonofdoom360 and be sure to let me know what you think in the comments section below, no sign up or registration needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Batman: Arkham Knight Critique - Joker Story

The most compelling aspect of the story in “Batman: Arkham Knight” for me was Batman’s ongoing hallucinations of The Joker. I had heard...