Pages

Thursday 19 June 2014

E3 2014: The 10 Games I Am Most Excited About

          To start things off I want to point out that this list is in no particular order and is not based on the quality of the game’s showing at E3, all it has to have done to qualify is be at the show in some way.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection


          This is pretty much a dream come true for me. The Master Chief Collection comes with: Halo 1 Anniversary except the Halo Reach multiplayer has been substituted for the original multiplayer now on Xbox Live for the first time ever, Halo 2 Anniversary with cinematics being remade by the incredible Blur Studios, all maps ever released and 6 of those maps will come with an additional version that has been updated to look like Halo 5, plus Halo 3 & 4 with all of their maps and some visual touch ups. It sounds amazing and I can’t wait to relive the terrific multiplayer experiences that were Halo 2 & 3 and getting to finally play Halo 1 online. It even comes with a campaign feature where you can make playlists of different single player levels across all four games and play them in any order you want alone or co-operatively.

Phantom Dust


          Now the odds are that the reveal of Phantom Dust returning wasn’t a big deal to you. Most gamers have never even heard of Phantom Dust, let alone got to play it back on the original Xbox. I, however, did and it was one of my favorite games on the console. Phantom Dust is a post-apocalyptic real-time pseudo–card-battle game that is far better than its description sounds. The truth is words can’t describe the greatness that is Phantom Dust, there is nothing else like it and I am extremely happy that more people will get the opportunity to play it. I just hope that Microsoft’s Major Nelson’s comment about it being a “remastering” means that it is a full Xbox One remake rather than simply Phantom Dust HD and that it can be successful enough to get a real sequel.

Star Fox


          Nintendo is best known for their stable of great franchises. Unfortunately some get a great deal more attention than others. Every year I wait for the day when Nintendo finally announces a new Star Fox. This year it finally happened. Now there isn’t an official trailer yet, and the people who have gotten a chance to play it have said that it is very rough and clearly early in its development, but the fact of the matter is I don’t care. It is a new Star Fox where Fox stays in his vehicles and that is all I have wanted for more than two console generations.

Mirror’s Edge


          EA showed some very early footage of Mirror’s Edge at their press conference this year. It was kind of disappointing because it didn’t show anything that you wouldn’t have seen before in the original game and didn’t divulge any specifics about the new story, but it is nice to see that things are moving along and that the game is coming “when it’s ready” as they teased at last year’s E3. I’m really excited for this game in spite of its less than impressive showing because I thought the original Mirror’s Edge was a fresh, unique and great game.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity


          Assassin’s Creed Unity looks absolutely stunning. The graphics are incredible, the game can supposedly support 5000 gorgeous NPCs (non-player characters) at a time and once again the series seems to have out done itself with remarkably smooth and varied traversal animations. Unity has a large focus on co-op, which bothers me because I know that personally I won’t have three friends with the game ready to play whenever I feel like progressing through the story. With that said there seems to be a lot of cool content that you can explore all by yourself. I like the side quests, such as the murder mystery that you can stumble upon, and how you can seamlessly enter and traverse through one out of four buildings in the game so far. I am also glad that they have finally added the ability to crouch and use cover effectively, so that you can be stealthy and sneak around in the game about being a stealthy assassin who sneaks around and eliminates his targets by surprise. After Desmond’s story rapped up at the end of Assassin’s Creed 3 I thought I was done with the franchise, but the French Revolution and the apparent improvements have me willing to give it another go.

Batman: Arkham Knight


          Rocksteady’s Arkham games have been praised countless times for making you feel like Batman, but until now they have left out one huge part of what it means to be Batman and that is the Batmobile. Now they have finally corrected that great error. The truth is I was apprehensive about the Batmobile when I first heard it would be in the game. I’ve driven around open world’s plenty of times, so I figured it wouldn’t offer anything unique or special to the experience. Then I watched the gameplay footage from E3 and it looks amazing. The Batmobile tears through anything in its way and can turn into a tank and quickly strafe around the battle field using its weaponry to take out any enemy foot soldiers or vehicles around. Another cool feature is that you can now chain stealth takedowns allowing you to clear out more bad guys in a shorter period of time. Rocksteady has said that this game will end the Arkham series and so far it looks like they will be going out with a bang.

Destiny


          Destiny didn’t introduce anything new that we hadn’t seen before at this E3, but they did start their Alpha on PS4 (which is really phase 1 of their Beta as they have now opened their game up to testing outside of their company therefore making it a Beta and not an Alpha, but why nitpick) which allowed some players a chance to try it out and from the videos I’ve seen things look good. I’m not in the Alpha so I won’t know if the shooting is as good as I want it to be (see Halo for reference), but I do like the number of abilities, weapons and gear plus I think the way they merge players into each other’s games so that they can play co-operatively if they choose to, a la Journey, has the potential to be much better than simply being assigned a couple of teammates at the beginning of your session. I really hope Destiny can live up to the high bar Bungie previously set for themselves with Halo and that is why I am so excited for it.

Rise of the Tomb Raider


          The rebooted Tomb Raider was a great game and I thought it did a good job of grounding the character of Lara Croft and making her more believable than how she had been depicted before. I like that they appear to be trying to continue Lara’s progression as a character in order for her to become the legendary figure she had always been. Crystal Dynamics has also stated that Tombs will be larger and more important this time around, which sounds good. I thought Tomb Raider was one of the best games of last year, so I’m eager to pick up that awesome bow again and raid some tombs.

Halo 5: Guardians


          I’ve already mentioned previously in this article that I love Halo. I think 343 Industries failed to maintain the same level of quality that Bungie achieved for the main games in the series, but that Halo 4 was still great. I am interested in seeing where their story goes following the events at the end of Halo 4 and I am curious as to why The Arbiter wants Agent Locke to find Master Chief. I am also hopeful that 343’s work on The Master Chief Collection, feedback from their Halo 5 Multiplayer Beta that will start nearly a year before the game is released and their decision to refer specifically to Halo’s “arena” multiplayer at Microsoft’s Press Conference means that they will work to correct the mistakes made to Halo 4’s multiplayer.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain


          Metal Gear Solid 5 looks like it will be an incredible experience. Kojima has said that Metal Gear Solid 5 won’t shy away from topics that might make people uncomfortable or that might disturb them. There are artists in every medium available that have used sensitive subject matter and abused it to be edgy and generate attention for what they have made or are making, but I do not believe that is what Kojima is doing here. The English version of MGS5’s E3 trailer from this year put something from the E3 2013 trailer into context for me (if you want to avoid spoilers don’t go back and watch it, but if you choose to then it will hopefully be quite obvious what I am referring to). Last year I worried that the scene would be in the game for shock value, but now I see the way that Kojima and his team are handling things in MGS5 and I found myself in awe of it. I think that the way they are tackling very sensitive topics and images will end up being controversial, but that it will be handled in such a way that it will actually set a new bar for the medium of videogames and potentially move the industry forward. And if that isn’t something to be excited about I don’t know is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Batman: Arkham Knight Critique - Joker Story

The most compelling aspect of the story in “Batman: Arkham Knight” for me was Batman’s ongoing hallucinations of The Joker. I had heard...