Pages

Saturday 7 July 2012

E3 2012: Best of - Winners


Best Original Game/New IP
Best PS3 Exclusive
The Last of Us
            While zombie and post apocalyptic games seem to be incredibly played out right now, Naughty Dog has decided to approach them with a compelling and fresh angle.  It isn’t about the zombie like creatures and it isn’t about the world that they have created, but how that world impacts you and forces you to choose how you are going to approach each situation in order to keep you and the young girl you are protecting alive.  I love it when a game makes you think about the moral ramifications of your actions as opposed to how much fun it would be to take everyone out and The Last of Us seems to do this in spades.  It also has an incredibly dynamic AI system where the enemies as well as Ellie react accordingly to the situations you present them.  

Best Xbox 360 Exclusive
Best FPS
Best Multiplayer
Halo 4
I love the Halo franchise and so I obviously want to jump back into the boots of the Master Chief and kick alien butt.  However, I was concerned that 343 Industries wouldn’t be able to live up to Bungie’s legacy with the franchise and that with the yearly iterations the next game just wouldn’t feel as special as before.  Luckily the gameplay footage shown at Microsoft’s press conference completely eliminated those concerns.  The new enemies look awesome and should go a long way to making the game feel new again, not to mention the story that they are setting up with Crotona has me deeply interested.  Plus Spartan Ops looks to add a ton of co-op content with its own story for 10 weeks after launch.

Best Wii U Exclusive
Nintendo Land
            A lot of people were underwhelmed by Nintendo Land at Nintendo’s press conference and I do think that they spent too much time on it, but they did say that like Wii Sports this would be a game that upon playing makes you understand the new console.  I hardly think it is wise to take companies at their word but the Luigi game looked fun if you have some friends around and they have 15 more mini games based off franchises like Zelda, Metroid and Donkey Kong, some of which are single player only, that can show off how the Gamepad can be used effectively across different genres, which is exactly what I need to know in order to be sold on the Wii U.  

Best Handheld Game
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
            I loved Kingdom Hearts 1&2 and it pains me to see that this game has ‘Kingdom Hearts 3’ in the title and yet isn’t the game I have been waiting for since 2006.  I never cared about the handheld versions but this one actually looks like a lot of fun, it has the real-time battle system like 1&2, solid graphics and a completely new story, as opposed to simply rehashing the first game with some added levels as they have done more than once in the past.

Best Surprise
Splinter Cell: Black List
            Some might argue that with a series as huge as Splinter Cell the news of a new game isn’t that surprising, but I was shocked to see it.  Not only did Splinter Cell: Conviction create a good end point for the series with the dismantling of Third Echelon, but how far along this game appears is really surprising.  This year people complained about a lack of surprises do to everything being teased beforehand, like how GameInformer revealed Gears of War: Judgment during the week leading up to E3.  Somehow Ubisoft managed to keep the game under wraps until they had a lot to show off, which is surprising given that Conviction was leaked in 2006, had a trailer in 2007 and came out in 2010.  I’m glad that from what was shown we won’t have to wait so long to get our hands on this one.  All of this contributes to it being a big surprise, but not necessarily the best one.  That comes from the fact that I enjoyed Conviction and I’m eager to play the follow up.   

Best Downloadable Game
Best RPG
The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Dawnguard
            There are some cool downloadable games on the way but the expansion to arguably the best game of last year has me more excited than any of them.  As for the other RPGs somehow this genre seems to be really lacking compared to last year and unfortunately this is the only one that I really want to get.  The new storyline involving a cult of vampires trying to block out the sun that you can either choose to help or destroy is really interesting.  There are also a lot of cool additions like crossbows, mounted combat and skilltrees for Vampires and Werewolves.  Plus there is a shout that lets you rip the souls out of humans and turns them into your undead minions.  Nuff said.

Best Open World Game
FarCry 3
            The FarCry games are known for their open landscapes that you can explore and use to tackle missions from different positions.  FarCry 3 will be no different and the game is looking really good.  I love that the main theme in the game is insanity and I’m interested to see how that unfolds throughout the game.  It also has a separate co-op campaign and I’m interested in seeing if you will still have the open world when in it or if you’ll have to go section by section as you complete missions.

Best Racing Game
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Even though I think the title for this game is stupid since there is already a game this generation with the exact same one, I did love the original NFS: Most Wanted and Criterion is sure to do something special with it.  I mean they are the guys who made Burnout after all, so they know their racers and they decided that that a game from less than seven years ago needed to be rebooted so they must have seen some potential there.  

Best Trailer
            All of the CG trailers for the Cybertron games are incredible; in fact they always make me think of how I would love to see a Transformers movie that looked like them.  The latest is no different, the tone, action and music are incredible and when I saw Metroplex my jaw dropped.

Best Fighting Game
Dead or Alive 5
            DOA is my favourite fighting game series and the latest looks amazing.  The combat is as fast and fluid as ever and the environments seem to offer more interaction and cooler set-pieces than before.

Best Use of Motion Control
Fable: The Journey
            This was the only motion controlled game at the show that seemed like it at least had some potential to be a fun gaming experience for the core audience.  Even though I don’t expect this game to be as good as the core Fable titles I hope it can offer a fun and different sort of experience that doesn’t feel like a cheap gimmick as most games that offer motion control do.

Best 3rd Person Shooter
Resident Evil 6
            Resident Evil 6 is looking incredible and the action seems better than ever.  You can now move and shoot, which to be honest I’m not entirely sure how I feel about, and perform a bunch of new action oriented moves.  The game will be completely cooperative like RE5, but luckily it seems to have a larger focus on horror.  I’m interested in seeing how the multiple storylines tie together and what happens now that the outbreak has gone global.   

Best MMO
Dust 514
            There were a bunch of MMOs this year and none of them looked bad but they also didn’t offer anything to break the mold, with the exception of Defiance tying a TV show to the game but that doesn’t really do much for the game itself.  Dust 514 however blows my mind with its influence on EVE Online, an entirely different game on a different platform, and vice versa.  The idea that many of my actions will benefit players that I don’t know in a game I’ve never played and that they might reward me with credits or new supplies in my game through their game is just so intriguing that I’ll have to play it.  Also it won’t cost me anything to do so since the game is free.

Best Action Adventure
Assassin’s Creed 3
            Assassin’s Creed 3 had an amazing showing at this year’s E3.  I was really disappointed when I first heard about their plans for this game because I was hoping that AC3 would be the series finally and revolve entirely around Desmond.  However, after hearing that the team has been working on this game for the past 2 ½ years and seeing how much they have accomplished in that time I am pumped to play this game.  The combat, which includes somewhere between 4000 & 5000 new animations, looks fantastic and is faster and more fluid than ever, not to mention more deadly.  They have also included the ability to take cover behind objects and crouch-walk which are elements that should be in any stealth action game at this point.  Then after blowing me away with how the game looks and plays they introduced naval combat, which looks incredible.  I can’t think of a single game that’s primary focus is ship combat that looks anywhere near as interesting and engaging as what I saw of this relatively small aspect of AC3.

Biggest Disappointment
The rush to ‘Second Screen’
            We all knew going into E3 about the Wii U’s second screen located on the Gamepad, but once the event started we found that they weren’t the only company testing it out.  Microsoft introduced SmartGlass for the 360 and to me it seems rather inconsequential.  I don’t need all the little bonus info like the ones that appear whenever you meet a new character or discover a new, significant building in Assassin’s Creed to be sent to my tablet so I can read it their or when I’m on the go.  The Vita was also displayed in the same manner that the Game Boy Advance was once shown with the GameCube in that you can play a game like PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale with the Vita instead of a PS3 controller.  It not only disappointed me that Microsoft and, to a much smaller extent, Sony were reacting to Nintendo once again as they did when we got Kinect and the Move, but it really disappointed me when everyone was talking about SmartGlass and the Gamepad and saying that Sony needed something to combat them and that games are moving to a second screen interface.  Games are fine as they are and I don’t see why we are encouraging this ADD culture we have where it is so hard to get people to focus on one thing for an extended period of time.  Having a second screen only detracts from what is on the main one.  I don’t want info about the making of a show while watching it for the first time because I want to be brought into that world not taken out of it and I don’t want developers coming up with asinine ways to implement this tech that is completely unnecessary and ends up costing them time that should have been focused on the core gaming experience.  Why would anyone want to control Madden through a bunch of dots on a tablet after paying $60 for the real version, which is being displayed on your TV at the same time?   

Game of Show
Halo 4
            There were a lot of games that impressed me at this year’s E3 but very few managed to utterly excite me and stick with me throughout the show anywhere close to the extent that Halo 4 did.  Everything from the incredible live-action trailer followed by the spectacular campaign footage showing off amazing new enemies, cool new guns, great new graphics and a new world to explore combined with the possibility of Master Chief teaming up with other Spartans due to there being Spartan IVs on the Infinity, which contains survivors, the story opportunities opened up by exploring the deterioration of Cortana, Spartan Ops and the always killer versus multiplayer left me more excited for this game than anything else shown at E3.



For all the latest updates on the blog be sure to follow me on Twitter @Aeonofdoom360  and be sure to let me know what you think in the comments section below, no sign up or registration needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Batman: Arkham Knight Critique - Joker Story

The most compelling aspect of the story in “Batman: Arkham Knight” for me was Batman’s ongoing hallucinations of The Joker. I had heard...